Saturday, January 14, 2006

What's the right TSH?

Jo's post: TSH Battle: Thyroid Info makes a great point---the normal ranges of TSH have shifted, and most doctors are aware of this. She also points to a great resource, Mary Shomon's: thyroid.about.com.

I agree about the TSH levels, but I believe that many people do better to ask for free T4 and free T3 to be tested. TSH is a great indicator of potential problems to begin with, but once you have an obviously high TSH (I'm talking about Hashimoto's only because I don't know enough about hyperthyroidism) and test positive for antibodies, the goal is then to get free T4 and free T3 in the proper range. I say this because even when my TSH was at the very bottom of the range, say .3, I was still a slobbering, fatigued, cold, sluggish, hungry, crampy mess. The important thing is to find what's normal for YOU. Get all indicators measured at the outset of the problem and record your symptoms: TSH, Free T4, Free T3, and antibodies. When you find the place where you feel good, get tested again. You should not be sleeping 10 hours a night, finding it difficult to get up in the morning, and also be unable to exercise due to fatigue! (Fatigue and brain fog are, for me, the most difficult symptoms to live with, because I have always been an active person!)

Technorati Tags:

2 Comments:

At 9:17 PM, Anonymous mivox said...

LOL... Love the title of your blog! I haven't been tested for antibodies, that I know of, so I don't know why I'm hypothyroid, but I can relate on the whole "too exhausted to do anything" part!

Wow. I actually did think sleeping 10 hours a day was just "the way I was" for years. I wish I'd figured it all out sooner... there were so many little complaints and aches and pains that I just blew off 'cause I figured I was being a hypochondriac!

Best of luck to you!

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Wakela Runen said...

I am sorry to see that you are no longer posting. I found out about a year ago that I have Hashimoto's. Its been a struggle. I was diagnosed over 11 years ago with hypothyroidism. It wasn't until about 6 months ago that I had my first "normal" labs. The doctor still wasn't happy with my TSH being 3.2. He wanted it lower. He raised my armour levels and I am doing much better.

I have actually started to lose the weight. I still don't have enough energy to completely exercise, but I am doing little bits here and there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home