Saturday, January 14, 2006

Losing weight with hypothyroidism

By far the biggest challenge as someone with hypothyroidism is weight. In 2003, I lost about 30 pounds over the course of 4 months. I watched what I ate very carefully and exercised regularly. This was before I had any (obvious)problem with my thyroid.
Some might say the fact that I gained the weight back is typical. Often people lose weight only to regain and then some. But I don't agree.

At the height of feeling bad before I was properly diagnosed, I could barely do anything. I tried to go to the gym. I would become exhausted after 20 minutes of exercise. I would practically fall asleep during yoga (not just during relaxation!). Thus there was no way for me to keep up with the "keeping in shape" part of my health/fitness strategy.

I also craved sweets. I remember starting in October 2004, I would actually crave candy (something I'd never really had an issue with before) and when I started to eat, I couldn't stop. I really physically felt like I needed that sugar. From the moment I started thyroid replacement, the sugar craving subsided.

At any rate, even after getting on thyroid hormone replacement, the weight didn't come off, more came on. I have never, in my life, been able to lose or maintain weight without regular exercise, and I was too tired to regularly exercise. It's as simple as that. Obviously, I didn't have food portions under control either. However, I have been on a "plan" since October 31st. I am down 10 pounds over 2 months. While this is good, in the past, I have lost more like 8 pounds a month. I guess as long as the trajectory is downwards, this is positive, and especially considering I started cutting back food on Halloween (who does that?)...and on through Thanksgiving and Christmas, I should be grateful to have lost weight at all.

But it is slow. Now that I have energy to do so, I exercise almost every day (step aerobics twice a week, yoga-like practice twice a week, and 45-60 min walks twice a week). One would think the weight would be coming off a little faster!!!

SW: 240
CW:230
GW:185

Technorati tags:

1 Comments:

At 10:11 PM, Blogger Wilma James said...

Bovine thyroid supplements made a significant change to my overall well being. I saw marked improvement in my weight loss even thought I cheated on my diet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home